Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 6

This is a quick e-mail just to bring things up to date. More coming this weekend.

Today, I Friendster-mailed one Friendster friend (it was her birthday, according to Friendster, so that seemed like a good excuse, especially since her e-mail address stopped working a few years ago and I haven't been in touch with her since--but then, I bet she doesn't use Friendster anymore, so she probably won't get her Friendster note either). I Friendster-mailed three complete strangers, though two are "friends of Friendster friends," so I have a little connection to them. And I invited one new person to Friendster, a friend who is originally from Japan. Maybe, because of her connections to Asia she might actually be into Friendster. She might even be on Friendster--under a different ID.

This brings the totals to as follows: Eight Friendster friends written, one reply; four acquaintances written or added as friends, one reply; three invitations extended, no replies; five strangers written, no replies. As you can tell, that means there was no action from others overnight. But it's coming. I can feel it. Folks I know are going to start emerging on Friendster like a wave. You know, like, first one, then two, then twenty, then two thousand twenty-nine, and then twenty million. To have twenty million Friendster friends! I can only dream. (And really it would be a dream. Friendster limits you to six hundred. But I'd take that.)

So someone was asking me today how my experiment was going. She didn't know. But she had turned down my invitation to join Friendster, so how could she have known? I told her about this blog. Should I have? She still isn't going to join Friendster. Sad. She thinks I should try to recruit among my friends on MySpace and Facebook. But my MySpace friends are in large part people who either are Friendster friends already or who left Friendster, so I don't see that as fertile ground. I might have more luck on Facebook. But those services don't make it easy--I mean, I can't invite people to Friendster from Facebook. Someone would really have to search me out on Friendster to come over to my side and join. It might happen. Think positive, man, think positive, like Rocky, in Rocky II (and III and IV and V and VI).

No comments:

Post a Comment