Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 17

So even though I have thirty Friendster friends, part of me isn't too keen on writing the last ten of them. Why? Because they're those people who added me who I barely know--folks who I wonder whether they would even remember me, folks who added me in a moment in which they met me (a bar around her used to keep a computer online at all times and people would check their Friendster, or later MySpace, accounts from it). I can imagine writing one of these people, and them answering back, who are you? "I'm me--I'm on your friends list!" "How did you get on my friends list?" "You added me." "Why would I add you? I don't even know you? Who are you?" That's the conversation I imagine.

And yet, if I'm e-mailing total strangers, why not e-mail the friends who I barely know? I guess the only thing that fills me with trepidation is that conversation above. See, if I write to a complete stranger and get that response, no big deal. I am a stranger--I don't know you. Much easier to accept that line of questioning from someone who really doesn't know me as opposed to someone who knows me--or knew me--and has forgotten me. That's just depressing.

But e-mail said Friendster people I did today, in an attempt to get them using Friendster again as well. Maybe I might grow closer to said people. Maybe they'll write back--hey, I remember you! Or maybe, like most, they'll just ignore me.

Today's totals: nineteen Friendster friends written, two replies; twelve acquaintances written or added as friends, one reply; five invitations extended, one acceptance; nineteen strangers written, no replies; three profile views; two added friends. No progress today. But it's coming. It's got to.

No comments:

Post a Comment