Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 16

I'm struck by the large number of free sites on the Internet, all supported by advertising--or not. How, I wonder, do so many of these Internet-only companies stay in business. I think of Blogger, for example, which doesn't necessarily include ads, unless the user him- or herself adds them. (Create a homepage on Geocities, by contrast, and unless you pay someone money for the site, expect an annoying pop-up box ad to be perenially on the site.) And I think also of these social networking sites. They sell adspace; people fill the adspace. But how often do people click on Internet ads? I almost never do. I suppose there is some relevance in just presenting your name on the site, like a billboard. But it's hard for me to believe that whole networks of personal profiles are supported this way. (Then again, I'm amazed that there are enough companies to take out ads in newspaper and on television stations to actually pay for all the materials in those media forms as well. There are an awful lot of folks wanting to get a message out, willing to pay for it, and--more importantly--able to pay for it.)

Today's ads--Tivo, Vonage, some online dating site (a lot of those advertise on social networking sites, which I wonder about because how, with the networking site offer free places to meet singles, does a site that expects you to pay expect folks using the former to be tempted by the latter?) I didn't click on any of the ads. I have no television for Tivo and no desire to change phone service or sign up for cell phone service. So . . . But maybe the words will stick in my head and the next time I want said services I'll think, wow, they advertise on the Internet somewhere. Maybe. I suppose it works. After all, when I read a story online and months later come across an author's name again, sometimes I wonder, that person's name sounds familiar. Eventually, occasionally, I end up becoming a fan--someone who actually seeks that person's work out.

Then there was this quiz ad--you know the type, one that dares you to answer a question (90 percent of people apparently answer wrong). Usually, I ignore these. Today, I went ahead and clicked on it, expecting I'd find some phone ad at the end, expecting me to answer a bunch of questions or sign up for something before I could get the correct answer. No thanks. Indeed, more questions were to be asked. No time for that.

A Netflix ad. No thanks. Haven't signed up and don't plan to. An opportunity to vote for Pepsi or Coke and win a laptop. Who cares? I'm not giving out information based on that so that people can bother me.

Today's totals if anyone cares: eighteen Friendster friends written, two replies; twelve acquaintances written or added as friends, one reply; five invitations extended, one acceptance; seventeen strangers written, no replies; three profile views; two added friends. Note the increase in friends and views here. I'm shooting up the ladder of Friendster friends. I now have thirty. Someone actually accepted my invitation. Hot dog! We're on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment