Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 26

Today, I received my first spam message from Facebook--or a Facebook faker--to my personal account. Over the past week, I've gotten several to my work account. I guess this pretty much proves that Facebook is taking over, since I haven't have gotten any such notes from MySpace of late--or from Friendster. It also shows that someone has figured out how to spam in Facebook, which the absence of has, I think, helped make Facebook popular. And it may be the next link in pushing people toward yet another network, though which one at this point, I wouldn't have a clue. There are so many, but in terms of general "friend" accounts, MySpace and Facebook seem to be it. Unless of course people come back to Friendster. Other accounts--ones I actually use more frequently--are more specialized: Good Reads, Fictionaut. Take an interest you share and join a network that involves people who only share your interest. It's pretty good networking, but it breaks down the pattern of making new friends locally or making friends of friends.

So today I tried something a little different. I invited two new people and wrote to one friend who I'd neglected to write. I figured the two new people would understand me, and the friend probably wouldn't (hence the invite and the delay in writing the other). I also had one more profile view, by a complete stranger I haven't even written to. Strange. Maybe I showed up on some "highlight" page. Wouldn't that be cool? My special profiles on the opening page seem to be the same people all the time.

The totals now stand at the following: twenty-four Friendster friends written, two replies; fourteen acquaintances written or added as friends, one reply; seven invitations extended, one acceptance; thirty-seven strangers written, no replies; four profile views; two added friends.


Rock on. This has got to work eventually. Maybe if I continued for another two or three years? Eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment