Saturday, March 28, 2009

Day 28

Today I managed to have one new profile view--and a new message. Of course, the message was more of the same--come to Facebook, or also Twitter. I suppose Twitter is the up-and-coming service, which I have yet to fully understand. As a non-cell-phone user, it doesn't seem very applicable to me, and it seems frankly a bit annoying. Why would I want to read six-word messages every couple of minutes from friends and acquaintances? Quite distracting. There's something kind of nice about being offline at times, unreachable--something that seems like one is able to be much more in the moment. (Beyond that, when I think of how much time I spend at work replying to constant streams of e-mail and how much I can accomplish when I simply turn e-mail off and thus refuse to even look at it--something I only do when I'm working after hours--just how much of a distraction technology is becomes clear.)

The totals: twenty-four Friendster friends written, two replies; fourteen acquaintances written or added as friends, one reply; seven invitations extended, one acceptance; forty-three strangers written, one reply; five profile views; two added friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment